Everyone's Favorite Sand Festival
Details about Sand in the City® 2015 are coming this spring!
Sand in the City® 2014
Proudly Presented by WSECU
Sand in the City Sculpture Awards for 2014
Photos by Shanna Paxton Photography
The People's Choice award went to FORMA Construction's sculpture by Michael Velling.
The Young @ Heart award went to the Olympia Waldorf School's sculpture by Tom Rieger and Kate LeGault.
Sand in the City® is Washington's largest free family sand festival! Festival events include free hands on art and science activities on the streets around the museum and a discounted admission to visit Hands On. It takes place at the Hands On Children's Museum on Olympia's East Bay from 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturday, August 23 and from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, August 24, 2014. Friday is the Sand in the City Gala, a Party with a Purpose just for grown-ups, and the museum will close at 3 p.m. in preparation for the party.
Free Event Highlights! Aug. 23 & 24
Free activities are featured on the street around the museum, on the East Bay Plaza and at the LOTT Wet Center.
(Donations are appreciated and support our Free & Reduced Admissions Programs.)
Big Beach Party sponsored by Olympia Federal Savings. Grandparents’ Day sponsored by Lucky Eagle Casino & Hotel. All donations benefit the museum’s Free & Reduced Admissions Programs.
· Watch the Masters sculpt in the NEW! Masters' Sand Carving Exhibition
· Choose from over 40 hands-on activities
· Enjoy live music and performers
· Scale the rock climbing wall
· Go inside a life-sized, pin hole camera
· Play in huge sandboxes
· Blow giant bubbles
· Get your face painted
· East Bay Plaza Stream & LOTT WET Center
· Free shuttles from Swantown Parking Lot
· Easy parking
Explore Inside the Museum!
Special event admission discount of just $5 per person Aug. 22-24 during the Sand in the City event.
· Visit 150 engaging exhibits
· See exciting new outdoor exhibits
· Get a cast or splint by Providence resident physicians
· Silkscreen a t-shirt in the Arts & Parts Studio
· So much more fun
Sand in the City Gala - A Party with a Purpose!*
The Sand in the City® Gala is from 7-11 p.m., Friday, August 22, at the museum. Sponsored by Heritage Bank.
Play Like a Kid Again and help us finish our treasured new museum and make it possible for every child to experience inspired hands-on learning!
· Enjoy scrumptious food from the region's premier restaurateurs
· Sip spirits and groove to The Beatniks
· Ride Giant Trikes, silkscreen a t-shirt and have your fortune told
· New special evening program and exciting silent auction items - trips, tickets, unique experiences and gourmet foods
*Tickets are $95 per person, $85 for members. Adults 21 and older only.
Support free and reduced programs
- Free Friday Nights
- Power Parenting classes
- Family support groups
- Dental Health Month screenings
- Military Family discounts
- Free Field Trips for underserved schools
- Sponsored family memberships
- Nights of Play for families of children with Autism