Everyone's Favorite Sand Festival
Sand in the City® 2014
Proudly Presented by WSECU
Sand in the City Sculpture Awards for 2014
The People's Choice award went to FORMA Construction's sculpture by Michael Velling.
The Young @ Heart award went to the Olympia Waldorf School's sculpture by Tom Rieger and Kate LeGault.
Sand in the City® is Washington's largest free family sand festival! Festival events include free hands on art and science activities on the streets around the museum and a discounted admission to visit Hands On. It takes place at the Hands On Children's Museum on Olympia's East Bay from 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturday, August 23 and from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, August 24, 2014. Friday is the Sand in the City Gala, a Party with a Purpose just for grown-ups, and the museum will close at 3 p.m. in preparation for the party.
Free Event Highlights! Aug. 23 & 24
Free activities are featured on the street around the museum, on the East Bay Plaza and at the LOTT Wet Center.
(Donations are appreciated and support our Free & Reduced Admissions Programs.)
Big Beach Party sponsored by Olympia Federal Savings. Grandparents’ Day sponsored by Lucky Eagle Casino & Hotel. All donations benefit the museum’s Free & Reduced Admissions Programs.
· Watch the Masters sculpt in the NEW! Masters' Sand Carving Exhibition
· Choose from over 40 hands-on activities
· Enjoy live music and performers
· Scale the rock climbing wall
· Go inside a life-sized, pin hole camera
· Play in huge sandboxes
· Blow giant bubbles
· Get your face painted
· East Bay Plaza Stream & LOTT WET Center
· Free shuttles from Swantown Parking Lot
· Easy parking
Explore Inside the Museum!
Special event admission discount of just $5 per person Aug. 22-24 during the Sand in the City event.
· Visit 150 engaging exhibits
· See exciting new outdoor exhibits
· Get a cast or splint by Providence resident physicians
· Silkscreen a t-shirt in the Arts & Parts Studio
· So much more fun
Sand in the City Gala - A Party with a Purpose!*
The Sand in the City® Gala is from 7-11 p.m., Friday, August 22, at the museum. Sponsored by Heritage Bank.
Play Like a Kid Again and help us finish our treasured new museum and make it possible for every child to experience inspired hands-on learning!
· Enjoy scrumptious food from the region's premier restaurateurs
· Sip spirits and groove to The Beatniks
· Ride Giant Trikes, silkscreen a t-shirt and have your fortune told
· New special evening program and exciting silent auction items - trips, tickets, unique experiences and gourmet foods
*Tickets are $95 per person, $85 for members. Adults 21 and older only.
Support free and reduced programs
- Free Friday Nights
- Power Parenting classes
- Family support groups
- Dental Health Month screenings
- Military Family discounts
- Free Field Trips for underserved schools
- Sponsored family memberships
- Nights of Play for families of children with Autism