Applicants who are offered employment must pass a background check as a condition of employment.
- Directly supervise staff
- Conduct initial screening and interviews for potential new staff
- Conduct daily coaching and routine disciplinary action
- Update and ensure department food handling procedures and practices are adhered to
- Assist with weekly staff scheduling and creates daily meal and rest break schedule
- Assist Manager with research, placing orders, pricing and inventory control
- Oversee cash handling procedures
- Must have 2+ years experience directly supervising staff of 3 or more
- Must be able to stand for extended lengths of time
- Must be able to bend and lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor of Arts or equivalent work experience
- Experience with When to Work or other scheduling software
- Experience with POS such as Altru
- Current Food Handlers Permit or ServSafe Certified
Graphic Designer & Communications Project Manager
- Design and produce visual promotional materials such as fliers, posters, banners, ads, brochures, logos, signage, display materials and email marketing for all Museum activities and programs often on tight deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with museum directors and managers on creative direction and campaign concepts
- Ensure excellent project management to coordinate up to 15 projects simultaneously. Communicate deadlines and report production status/challenges to appropriate departments.
- Manage the entire publication and distribution process including bids, packaging files, mailing and other delivery systems.
- Knowledgeable about current design and production methods, procedures and trends
- Contract with photographers and coordinate with vendors
- Ensure that all communications are consistent with the Museum’s brand and graphic standards.
- Manage graphic design and photo library
- Assist on web-based projects as necessary
- BA in Graphic Design or related area or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Min five years of relevant work experience creating graphic and design solutions across all platforms
- Quality portfolio demonstrating experience to execute key responsibilities
- Nonprofit experience strongly desired
- Must be willing to occasionally work evenings and weekends around major museum events
- Ability to track numerous projects simultaneously
- Possess a professional approach to time, budget and deadlines
- Digital media design, photo editing & illustration
- Build files based on specifications
- Adaptable, flexible and can work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving & decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to work solo and as part of a project team
Submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to email@example.com, or mail to: Hands On Children's Museum, 414 Jefferson St NE, Olympia, WA 98501.
No phone calls please.
Special Events InternWould you love to be an event planner? Does learning the ins and outs of South Sound’s premier event venue and family destination sound exciting? Take advantage of this unique opportunity to gain valuable, job skills and hands-on experience as an Assistant to the Events & Development Departments at the Hands On Children’s Museum. You’ll get experience with every part of the event process from planning and scheduling, to design and coordination. Help manage the annual events calendar, make phone calls to clients, conduct marketing research, arrange for promotional materials, run errands, coordinate logistics and learn what’s involved in the event set-up and tear-down. You’ll take center stage as you greet clients, museum performers, animal hosts, special guests and community leaders to ensure that they have an outstanding experience at our facility. We’re looking for a super star who is positive, fast-paced, dedicated and wants to excel!
Start date: Anywhere between June 15-21
End date: Anytime after August 24
15-20 hours per week, unpaid, small stipend possible
Please submit a letter of interest.